[Gllug] DNS in local network

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 10 15:38:18 UTC 2008

On Thu 10 Apr, Dan Kolb wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 03:48:18PM +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
> > Hello,
> >    I then checked all the files in /etc that had been re-saved, but found no
> > actual changes. So what step did I miss that can be done from the command
> > line, without a GUI?
>
> What does /etc/resolv.conf say?
>
> There should be a line at the top saying 'search localdomain' (or whatever
> domain you're using.
>
> Dan

   That was what it said before the update that caused problems, that was
changed to

# generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!

and after using the GUI :

# generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!

domain new_domain_name
nameserver a.b.c.d         (the local DNS box)
nameserver e.f.g.h         (the local gateway)
nameserver i.j.k.l         (provided by the ISP)
nameserver m.n.o.p         (provided by the ISP)
nameserver 4.2.2.2         (in emergency, try here)
search new_domain_name

In other words, NetworkManager did nothing until kicked by the GUI. It is
supposed to work in response to an interface up/down, but did not even
respond to several re-boots.

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk