[Gllug] Linux Mint fstab bemusement - never seen anything like this before, how do I get nfs working?

Phil Reynolds phil-gllug at tinsleyviaduct.com
Mon Apr 28 13:05:12 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 01:45:17PM +0100, M.Blackmore wrote:
> This is the fstab that Mint Linux installed - I've never seen the like,
> and simply grafting on my "usual" nfs links doesn't work.
>
> What are the long strings of UUID letters - something generated as a
> unique identifier by the format or partitioner? And is this identifier
> being used to mark the partition locations in human readable /media/sda6
> or /home manner of writing?

Yes, they are... used in place of /dev/?d?? entries.

They have the advantage that, if for some reason the controllers
activate in a different order, or a disk is moved to another controller,
the UUID stays the same and they do not need to be changed.

> So to make the nfs partitions work do I need to append these identifiers
> to my usual couple of nfs share lines instead of just saying what I
> normally say?

It does not affect anything but the fstab and boot loader. All NFS
problems if any would be just the same if the /dev names were used.

> Any other linux distributions do this sort of thing, whatever it is

I use it on Debian - had one machine with two controllers that kept
changing places in particular that gained benefit.

The serial numbers on MS filesystems are usable, as your example shows.

--
Phil Reynolds
 o  ____ mail: phil-gllug at tinsleyviaduct.com
|L_ \  / Web: http://www.tinsleyviaduct.com/phil/
(_)- \/  Waltham 66, Emley Moor 69, Droitwich 79, Windows 95
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk