[Gllug] Painfully Slow SCP

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 12:24:21 UTC 2008

Hello,

I have two machines on the same LAN.  One running CentOS 5, one CentOS 3.

I'm trying to scp a 45M file between the two, but it is only going at
about 8 KB/s, and frequently stalling.

The C5 machine has a dual port Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II
BCM5708 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 12), the C3 machine has a BCM5701.

The C3 machine transfers fine to other machines on the network, but I
have problems with any machine on  the network trying to connect to
the C5 machine.

I've fluked the cables, changed the ports on the switch etc, and it
makes no difference.  Similarly, I've confirmed all machines and
switches are running at 100/Full.

I see lots of RX errors on the C5 machine:

ifconfig shows:

Also ethtool -S shows:

rx_crc_errors: 1872
rx_align_errors: 1827

Any ideas?  Should I use a different driver?  I'm using bnx2 atm.

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk