[Gllug] how to exclude some users from a drive?

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Wed Apr 2 20:12:54 UTC 2008

Diego Giurgola wrote:
> Hi all, I have an Ubuntu machine; I have some drives that are mounted
> on the /media/ subdirectory. How can be my user the only user who can
> access to this drives/folders?
> Thanks.
>
> Diego.

Diego,
  Just use the chown, chgrp, and chmod commands

General Usage:
chown <new owner> <path to directory>
chgrp <new group> <path to directory>
chmod <world permissions><Group Permissions><Owner Permissions> <path to
directory>

specific example:
Assumptions:
   User = bob
   Group = bobs_group

chown -R bob /media/mounted_volume
chgrp -R bobs_group /media/mounted_volume
chmod -R 077 /media/mounted_volume

Note: 077 = No permissions to world, Read/Write/Execute permissions to
Group, Read/Write/Execute permissions to Owner

Andrew Farnsworth
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk