[Gllug] Trips or traps? A single home partition shared between 2 distributions

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Wed Apr 30 21:47:56 UTC 2008

What gotchas can getcha if one has a single home partition and a couple
of different distributions (used for different things - don't ask) on
different partitions?

Not quite what I'd chose but if thats what she and daughter wants I'll
try and accomodate...

But surely there must be some gotcha in having home shared between two
distributions (even though both ubuntu based)...

My instinct would be to make up another computer from the bits box - got
enough for one more 1.4ghz machine which I've just got booted up OK on
the workbench, out of a case, and got cases galore to chose from and a
modest disk spare and a dvd burner spare - and use of a kvm I've got
doing
nowt.

But complaints that footwell space is already very tight are quite valid
so this doubling up would not be popular.

So back to gotchas on a single shared /home partition - are there any?