[Gllug] Ubuntu 8.04 release candidate: first impressions

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Sun Apr 20 09:32:05 UTC 2008

As 8.04 had got to release candidate stage I thought I'd upgrade to it
(though this is still not recommended for production systems I'd had
such a pain with previous upgrades and this mobo I thought I'd start
early).

In fact the whole thing went smoothly and I had no post-install
adjustments to make just to get the thing to work: a first.

Cannot say the look and feel is all that different, but it's an
improvement.

The only fly in the ointment is the support for the wireless card (RT
2500). Under 7.04 this was fully supported, under 7.10 support seemed
broken in various ways (eg the network status applet recorded a signal
strength of zero at all times) but generally worked.

Now the network status app works all the time but I cannot get the bit
rate above 1 Mb/s

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk