[Gllug] Symlink but with cow powers?

Kostas Georgiou k.georgiou at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Apr 29 13:41:32 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:39:52PM +0100, Jason Clifford wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 12:37 +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> > I've no idea how joomla works but if it can be made to live on a
> > single partition then one option might be to use LVM snapshots.  Have
> > a single origin partition containing the "virgin" copy and mount
> > snapshots backed by smaller storage partitions which will contain just
> > the increments.  It's a bit heavyweight to manage something like this
> > however -- normally one might use snapshots backed by /dev/ram which
> > disappear on reboot (eg. how many live CDs work), but I guess that's
> > not an option for you.
>
> You are right - it's too heavyweight.
>
> I anticipate several hundred instances at the least and possible several
> thousand. I also want the changes made in the cow'd files to be
> permanent as these are for long term hosted websites.

What about using fuse? Have each joomla instance as a top level dir
inside the fuse fs so you have only one mount and write some code
to have your cow (a full copy of the file is what you want I imagine)
semantics. I don't think it will be too hard but then again I haven't
tried to write a fuse filesystem before.

Kostas
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk