[Gllug] Oddity using Three USB modem under Linux

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Apr 16 16:38:12 UTC 2008

I've just got one of those Three USB modems (Huawei E220) and am
experimenting with it under Linux.  I've managed to connect without too
much difficulty (although the process still needs smoothing out a bit)
but I've noticed something odd.

If I plug the modem into a Windows box and connect using their supplied
software then my interface gets a real IP address.  For instance, just
now it got 92.40.61.115.

If however I connect using Gnome-PPP from Linux (using the settings
gleaned from their MacOS X instructions) I get a private IP address.
The last time I tried I got 10.119.64.160.

Both work, but clearly there is a significant difference between the two.

Anyone any idea why the difference, and what I might do to get a real IP
address when connecting from Linux?

TIA,
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk