[Gllug] [Not really OT, honestly] Forcing Vista to defrag properly

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Thu Apr 24 10:49:29 UTC 2008

> John Winters wrote:
>> Thanks for that.  JkDefrag tells me I have a great hunk (perhaps 10G) of
>> immovable (red) files right in the middle of my disk.
>
> Might it be the swap file?
>
> Set the swap off if there is plenty of RAM.

3G  :-)

Well actually, 4G but iCandy can't see the rest.

I've set the swap off, and lots of other things but I still end up with a
scattering of red files around the middle of the disc.

My major happy discovery is that iCandy now includes a facility to shrink
its own partition.  Using that I've managed to recover 50G for a test
installation and it's looking very nice (Lenny AMD64).  I'll decide later
whether to scrub iCandy entirely.  I'll have to do that if I can't shrink
the partition further.

Cheers,
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk