[Gllug] Sainsbury's Bank with Linux: online banking followup

Phil Reynolds phil-gllug at tinsleyviaduct.com
Wed Aug 27 09:13:02 UTC 2008

Quoting "MJ Ray" <mjr at phonecoop.coop>:

> Many moons ago, Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:
>> Do any banks *not* require Javascript these days? Even *textual*
>> browsers implement a lot of JS, and I'd be hard pressed to implement a
>> useful web UI for something bankish without at least a *bit* of JS...
>
> http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/ doesn't.  I'm not sure which others
> don't, but I've tried to keep http://mjr.towers.org.uk/blog/2007/banking
> up-to-date while several of the banks stopped working with FF3.  Most
> have been fixed now, but a few haven't.

I will see what NatWest does. I know they won't accept Iceweasel (so I
spoof it as Firefox) but I haven't tried it with Iceweasel 3, nor with
JavaScript off.

> I think the key thing is to use JavaScript to enhance a web interface
> but not to require it.

Absolutely - I remember one web page that used JavaScript simply to
remind you that the man who ran the server considered it dangerous and
wouldn't let you browse further until you turned it off.

--
Phil Reynolds
  o  ____ mail: phil-gllug at tinsleyviaduct.com
|L_ \  / Web: http://www.tinsleyviaduct.com/phil/
(_)- \/  Waltham 66, Emley Moor 69, Droitwich 79, Windows 95

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk