[Gllug] routing via a second external IP

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Wed Aug 13 07:59:30 UTC 2008

I am getting a bit confused with the various posts on the 2nd ADSL connection!

I always understood that packets were routed based on their destination,
regardless of which interface they arrived on.

So, for exmaple, if I have two interfaces on machine with addresses
123.123.123.123   - DNS entry of  www.seacon.co.uk
and
124.124.124.124

and a default route out via 123.123.123.123
and a specific route to a customer on IP address  100.100.100.100
via 124.124.124.124

and that customer connects to www.seacon.co.uk (123.123.123.123)
reply packets will go back over 124.124.124.124,  presumably with with a
source-address of 124.124.124.124  - in which case I asume they will be
disregared by the customers machine.   Or do the reply packets go out
with a source address equal to the original socket destination address
which the server process connected to??

Either way, I assume if the two ADSL lines use a router with NAT in place,
it won't work.

Sorry if this is badly described  :-(

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk