[Gllug] (OT) Early Christmas

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Aug 29 18:42:43 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 02:50 +0100, Don Williams wrote:

>      I want: a reasonably well-built bit of kit, c£350-550,
> with a ginormous hard drive making it easy (for me) to have a couple of
> distros up and running, but arriving with Debian 5 or the current Ubuntu
> ready installed;
> with reliable CD and DVD read/write drive;
> with good up-to-date graphics - NOT for gaming

Why don't you want to install your own distro?  Dell provide Ubuntu
pre-installed machines if you must, and that guarantees that all the
hardware will work OK.  Adding additional distros is trivial - modern
ones are really easy to install and largely configure themselves.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/  Go to "home" products, select "desktops",
then choose "open source".  You'll find that they'll offer you an "N"
series machine with Ubuntu pre-loaded.  You can then select "customise"
and add bits to it (it doesn't have a monitor included in the base
price).  I've had three of these over the last few months, and they're
entirely fine, though I replaced Ubuntu with Mandriva on two of them and
Suse on the other.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk