[Gllug] running Xen on another VM

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Aug 20 14:47:10 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 02:58:51PM +0100, Peter Corlett wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 01:44:13PM +0100, Nahuel Marisi wrote:
> [...]
> > I was wondering if I can actually virtualize Xen in Virtualbox or other
> > similar (preferably open source or free) VM.
>
> In theory it should be possible to nest virtual servers indefinitely - and
> you can do this on S/390 - but in practice it doesn't really work on x86 and
> you'd be better off scrounging another PC from somewhere and using that.

It's not possible even in theory on a PC.  Unlike mainframes, neither
paravirtualization (as in Xen) nor hardware virtualization can be
nested.

Also, full emulators like Bochs don't emulate the hardware accurately
enough that you can run Xen or KVM inside them.  I know, coz I tried
it once.

You can however run QEMU inside a KVM guest, although it's really
slow.  We do this for testing oVirt out on single developer machines.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat