[Gllug] Suggestion about Network Monitoring software - Open source/Free

Iain M Conochie iain at shihad.org
Thu Aug 28 10:23:41 UTC 2008

Hakuna Matata wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> we want to implement a network monitoring software in our organization.
>
> we want to monitor services like ftp/web/mysql/mssql/vmware and
> performance and up time of servers.
>
> i want the software to be more reports oriented so that i can present
> them to the management guys.

http://hobbitmon.sourceforge.net/

Basic blurb

      What does Hobbit do ?

Hobbit monitors your /hosts/, your /network services/, and /anything
else/ you configure it to do via extensions. Hobbit can periodically
generate requests to network services - http, ftp, smtp and so on - and
record if the service is responding as expected. You can also monitor
local disk utilisation, logfiles and processes through the use of agents
installed on the servers.

Pros:

Network services trivial to monitor and setup.

Host based monitoring as well. If you can script in _any_ language you
can monitor pretty much what you want

Reports are easy to generate and pretty well detailed.

Performance monitoring as well using rrd graphs so you have long term
trends of the server.

GPL

Active devlopment

Cons:

Some legal wrangling about the name at the moment. expect a name change
soon.

Overall, for a lightweight monitoring system this, IMHO, is as good as
it gets.

Also IMHO do not touch nagios with a barge pole :)

Cheers

Iain

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk