[Gllug] Problem upgrading disk-less system to Etch

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sat Aug 16 09:42:35 UTC 2008

John Hearns wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 10:10 +0100, John Winters wrote:
>
>> I've looked at the documentation of /etc/network/interfaces but there's
>> no mention of settings which would stop it bouncing the link.  Does
>> anyone know of a cleaner way of getting it to work?
>
> How about using the "background" mount option in /etc/fstab for /home ?
> That means the mount will keep retyring in the background if it cannot
> succeed first time, and your boot sequence will continue.

Unfortunately that's not how it works.  The Debian boot sequence makes
no attempt to mount nfs shares until after the network connection has
come up.  The sequence is:

1) Mount all local shares
2) Bring up network links
3) As each link comes up, kick off a mount for relevant nfs drives
4) Wait for them to be ready

It's the "link up" event which causes the mount to be attempted, so
without that event it doesn't even try to mount them.  What I need is
the means to get it to recognise that the link is already up and then
simulate the event, rather than dropping the link and collapsing in an
undignified heap because it's lost its root directory.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk