[Gllug] routing via a second external IP

Alistair Mann gllug at lgeezer.net
Wed Aug 13 11:24:41 UTC 2008

John Winters wrote:

> There was an earlier claim made in the thread that it is possible to
> control which link the incoming traffic will come down by using iproute2
> on the gateway box, but we've yet to see any justification of that
> claim.  I'm not familiar with iproute2, but given the requirement to
> control the behaviour of routers out there on the 'net before you even
> know the connection is coming I don't believe it's possible.

Iproute2's tools do indeed execute way too late in the day to make any
difference to where inbound traffic comes in.

One can control inbound traffic though, to a certain extent, with DNS:
multiple A records for the FQDN mean visitors to www.mysite.com rotate
among IPs x.x.x.x, y.y.y.y & z.z.z.z. A very blunt tool, but effective
where the profile is for large numbers of visitors.

Cheers,
--
Alistair Mann
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk