[Gllug] Suggestion about Network Monitoring software - Open source/Free

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Aug 28 08:52:14 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 09:26:06AM +0530, Hakuna Matata wrote:
> we want to implement a network monitoring software in our organization.
>
> we want to monitor services like ftp/web/mysql/mssql/vmware and
> performance and up time of servers.

You want _two_ pieces of software.  Performance/stats and uptime/
monitoring are two quite different, unrelated tasks, and tools which
do both tend to fall between two stools.

I tend to recommend two tools: Nagios for uptime and service
monitoring, and collectd for performance.

Nagios is an absolute b--- to configure, but once that is done it does
what it says.  It has a reasonable web interface which displays
current status and some history in a PHB-friendly way.

Collectd is pretty simple to set up and use, very lightweight, but you
have to use rrdtool to create graphs and that is very difficult to
use.  There are recipes on the web which you'll want to follow.
(http://collectd.org/)

If your systems are virtualized, look at libvirt (http://libvirt.org/)
and our monitoring tools like virt-top, virt-df, etc.
(http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/)

Rich.

--
Richard Jones