[Gllug] Alias cf Redirect (after Problems with mod_alias and Apache)

Thu Aug 28 12:12:11 UTC 2008

Have been watching William's original thread but not wishing to hijack
have started anew, asking to compare Alias with Redirect:

His (inherited?) code is:
Alias  /example /var/www/example

Looking at my .confs, I note that I would use
Alias  /example/ /var/www/example/
- I'm assuming /var/www/example to be the top of a directory tree/tree
of web pages.

However I seem to have fallen into the habit of using:
Redirect  /example http://example.foo.com

This likely because the sub-domains were often on another physical
Apache server (and I have the habit of copying working/existing code...).

Is there an efficiency or other issue associated with this choice?

Regards,
=dn
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk