[Gllug] Which path is easier, Transfer swapout or swapout transfer?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Aug 20 23:43:53 UTC 2008

On 19 Aug 2008, Kostas Georgiou told this:

> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 12:02:45AM +0100, Nix wrote:
>
>> On 18 Aug 2008, Justin Perreault outgrape:
>> > Unfortunately this is where I got stuck. There is an LV that spans the
>> > two drives. With one of the drives not connected the system refused to
>> > run LVM and related commands. I suspect due to LVM not being able to see
>> > what it expected.
[...]
>> Firstly, there isn't a command-line tool that will do this: vgreduce
>> will vape the missing disk out of the VG, but will remove any LVs
>> partially on that PV. So you're reduced to editing the metadata by hand.
>> Fortunately this is easy as it's all textual :)
>
> If you have enough (free) space in the vg on the 1TB disk you can just
> do a pvmove -v /dev/sdaX to move all logical volumes out of /dev/sdaX.
> It will work in a live system so you don't need any downtime either.

Well, yes, but I thought the context was that /dev/sdaX had failed or
was otherwise inacessible. Otherwise, sure, pvmove is the way to go.

--
`If you are having a "ua luea luea le ua le" kind of day, I can only
 assume that you are doing no work due [to] incapacitating nausea caused
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk