[Gllug] Is my cheapo router really caching DNS?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sat Aug 30 21:54:35 UTC 2008

t.clarke wrote:
[snip]
> On a totally different note I just discovered (after installing an extra ADSL
> through UKFSN which runs much faster than an existing ADSL on an adjacent line
> in the building) that the various telephone pairs into the building are routed
> totally differently once they get back to the street cabinet. Totally crazy -
> the new one runs at 2Mbps and the other at 512K!

That reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask - if you have a
nominal 2 Mbit ADSL connection (as in "up to 2 Mbit") and it in fact
connects at about 512k, then what would be the likely effect of
upgrading to an 8 Mbit service?  AIUI the latter uses a different spec
of ADSL, but would it end up being faster or slower than before (or just
the same)?  One way of looking at it is that if the line can provide 1/4
of a 2M connection then it should be capable of providing 1/4 of an 8M
connection, but another viewpoint would be that if it struggles to
handle the protocols used on a 2M connection then it will struggle even
more with those used for 8M and thus will run even more slowly.

Anyone got any experience of this and able to provide an informed view?

Cheers,
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk