[Gllug] Decent agency for Linux jobs

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Tue Aug 19 15:16:16 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 02:48:50PM +0100, Garry Heaton wrote:
[...]
> OK. Just looking for recommendations really. If these agencies have been
> decent to work with that's all I need to know.

Those are actually job boards. Recruitment agencies subscribe to feeds of
uploaded CVs and profiles and do keyword-matching. From there, you'll get
both agencies who will carefully read your CV and find the ideal jobs, and
agencies who will mercilessly spam you with every job they're having a hard
time shifting[0]. Unfortunately, you can't opt to only have the former, but
that's what mail filtering is for...

It's amusing to see which agencies don't bother to read the CV. For example,
because I list the Catalyst web framework on my CV, I occasionally get
contacted about networking roles requiring Cisco experience, and presumably
Catalyst switches.

Jobserve seems to be a bit better for contract work, CWJobs for permie, but
there's probably not much in it. Sign up for both and you'll probably start
to get calls within the hour if you've got what they want.

[0] These jobs are inevitably "URGENT", an "excellent opportunity" and/or
    have "unlimited career progression". And pay peanuts for an 80 hour week
    in Slough or some other godforsaken hole.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk