[Gllug] Which path is easier, Transfer swapout or swapout transfer?

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Mon Aug 18 00:04:09 UTC 2008

Okay, Mythdora using LVM I have one 1TB drive and one 80GB drive.
Initial install was done on the 80GB drive, therefore / and /boot with
everything else are on the smaller drive. I want to replace the 80GB
drive with another 1TB drive.

I have been searching and reading about LVM and Mythdora to determine my
path of least resistance however, I have been unable to locate any
specific references to solve my problem. The experience I have will get
me through this in general however, concentrating my efforts in the
useful way atm is desired.

Options that seem clear to me:
1) Install the new drive, create suitable partitions, reinstall system,
mount the two old drives, transfer the files, remove 80GB drive, attach
the old 1TB drive via LVM.

The recorded files would safe and I feel I could succeed at transferring
them as well as the DB info that is needed to keep them organized. This
has me concerned about restoring my recorded files and the DB properly.

2) Install the new drive on the system as is, create partition on new
drive of 80GB, transfer all non LVM files from 80GB drive to new
partition, shrink LVM to old 1TB drive, reboot onto new drive 80GB
partition, incorporate 920GB of new drive and 100% of old drive into new
LVM partition.

The main installation would not have to be repeated and the db would be
safe. I have tried something similar before and lost the files I had on
the second drive(likely to do with not preparing the drive properly, I
have better understanding now). Toying with LVM has me a bit concerned
still.

3) Create a duplicate system using the new drive and an almost identical
system, use a cross over cable to connect the two systems via built in
GB network ports, use the mythdora tools to transfer the files, replace
80GB with new 1TB drive, grow LVM to include old 1TB drive.

Transfer 'should' work like a dream. Unsure about using a crossover with
GB ethernet. Unsure about the time the transfer will take. Have not
tried this before.

I am up for learning more about any topics on the path I follow.
Unfortunately, my current experience has me feeling concerned that any
of the three choices would leave me with different potential gaps in my
execution of this transfer. Preferably, I will be able to have a clear
idea of my what topics to explore more in-depth and I would finish the
actual job of transfering in under 6 hours from the time I start
physically tinkering with it.

I really appreciate any guidance on the direction I should consider
taking. I am also open to options that I have not listed that might be
better for me to pursue.

-Justin

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk