[Gllug] OT: algorithm needed

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Sun Aug 10 22:03:11 UTC 2008

On 10 Aug 2008, at 22:38, salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
[...]
> That's right - I should have added that each read should read as
> close to
> the max as possible (including the final read).

If you think about it for a moment, all solutions which contain
ceil(total / max) transfers are equally-close to max.

You can increase the number of blocks in a transfer to get it close to
max, but at the cost of reducing it elsewhere by an equal number. Each
transfer will still have to do an average of total / ceil (total -
max) blocks however you balance the individual transfers.

The problem appears to be not for want of a good algorithm but the
lack of a good definition of the problem.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk