[Gllug] Core Services

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 09:15:20 UTC 2008

Hi,
>> bnx2id                0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>
> No clue what this is

Broadcom driver stuff.

>> dkms_autoinstaller    0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>
> Eeeewww. Kill !

Needed in this case for broadcom and mptlinux kernel modules, I think.
 It's a Dell box.

>> fusion.mptctl         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>
> Not sure what this is - think its hardware specific

LSI Logic message passing technology.

>> httpd                 0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>
> Disable if you don't need web serving. Better yet, uninstall

Sorry - this machine was meant to be a webserver :)

>> lvm2-monitor          0:off   1:on    2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>
> This is a new one for me - not sure what that does

I think this is a script for monitoring LVs for failures, using the
device mapper.  By inspection it does a vgchange --monitor -y on all
of the volume groups.

>> rhn-virtualization-host       0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>
> Disable unless this is a Xen host connected to RHN

Not sure why the machine has been built as Xen capable.  It will never
be used as such.  I didn't build this one... I build mine with
kickstart and puppet, and have a puppet recipe to turn off various
services.

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk