[Gllug] Is my cheapo router really caching DNS?

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Sat Aug 30 21:28:53 UTC 2008

I am using a 'cheap commodity router' myself  -  it runs a version of Linux
on the Texas Instruments AR7 chipset.

Logging into ito as root reveals that it runs 'dproxy' which describes itself as
a caching nameserver.

Works fine for me !!

I have a couple of these AR7 based routers in use and they seem to generally
perform very well. The most recently purchased one uses the routertech software.

The facilities are probably not as comprehensive as the Vigor series routers,
but if you don't need the more fancy features the TI-based routers are much
cheaper and seem to to the job just as well.

On a totally different note I just discovered (after installing an extra ADSL
through UKFSN which runs much faster than an existing ADSL on an adjacent line
in the building) that the various telephone pairs into the building are routed
totally differently once they get back to the street cabinet. Totally crazy -
the new one runs at 2Mbps and the other at 512K!  Fortunately the tech I spoke
to was most helpful and checked the other various analgue numbers into the
building and we are now getting the ISP to re-route the older ADSL over a
better telephone pair/number.

So, if you are installing ADSL and have more than one line into the premises
it pays to get them all checked-out to see which will suport the highest speed.

The low speeds quoted above by the way are because we are right at the edge
of the exchange area. 200 yards down the road and the exchange changes from
01474 to 01322 !!

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk