[Gllug] Duo Core processor 4Gb Ram laptop

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Sat Dec 27 21:29:00 UTC 2008

Diana Scott wrote:
> Hi
>
> I went to the sales earlier and noticed the latest laptops have Due
> Core processor speed of 2Ghz with 4Gb RAM. I wonder what activities a
> laptop with Duo Core or Centrino 2 with 4 Gb ram can achieve where a
> laptop with Centrino (Pentium M) 1.7Ghz with 2Gb ram with Ubuntu 8.10
> cannot do equally as good, given the same knowledge for both laptops.

Diana,
  Anything that will use multiple cores / CPUs will benefit from the
dual core CPU.  This means things like Ripping / Converting CDs and DVDs
to digital formats, photo manipulation, database work, etc.  It will
also allow you to do multiple things at once without seeing slowdowns.
For example, run a web server, database server, and developer studio all
at the same time without noticing a performance hit on the UI.  If you
are not doing any of these things, or seldom any of these things, then a
single core cpu might be the way to go.  Remember though that all new
CPUs in the future (ok, barring things like netbooks and it won't be
long for them either) will be at least dual core and several are going
to quad core already so to future proof your purchase you should
consider the dual core models.

Andrew Farnsworth
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk