[Gllug] External USB HD recommendations

Bob Giles thecorfiot at gmx.co.uk
Wed Dec 3 09:06:51 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 14:13 +0000, N.Pauli wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Can anyone recommend an external USB2 HDD that I can use with Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) kernel 2.6.24-21-generic? The reason I'm asking is that I was given one [Buffalo, I think] for visiting a trade show and it worked once and never got detected again. Now that I'm spending money I'd like to point me at a line they've used with no problems and/or away from ones that have given them problems.

Nigel,

I have been following this thread from afar and as far as I can see,
nobody has given you a specific answer. Surprising really considering
the wealth of experience out there in GLLUG. Somebody must be using them
and have an opinion!

For my own part, I will put my cards on the table!

I use 4 external USB drives on a mixture of machines running Ubuntu 8.04
and Win XP.

Firstly, I have 2 Maxtors that are OK on the XP boxes but haven't
bothered to try them on the Linux boxes due to them being virtually
full!

However, I have a Freecom Classic 500Mb USB drive which is perfectly at
home on either the Linux or Win XP boxes. It is well constructed and
runs quietly. As an aside, I live in Greece and in summer it runs in
temperatures in the upper 30s C. (I am too mean to buy aircon!) I should
also add that my use is not for business but all my machines are
generally running most of the day.

I also have a Western Digital 1 TB USB drive which works under both
operating systems. HOWEVER it lacks an on/off button. This is not a
problem under Windows (or, according to the blurb, under Mac OS) as the
supplied software powers the drive down when the machine is powered
down.

I have Googled and come across various suggestions as to how this can be
implemented in Linux but frankly, I am bone idle and haven't pursued
this yet! Western Digital appear to be disinterested in Linux!

The bottom line is that I am impressed with the Freecom offering which
also comes in a 1Tb variety.

On a personal note, I am looking to buy the Freecom 1 Tb external drive
that also supports an ethernet connection and is therefore can be
accessible directly from any machine ... anywhere. Overclockers were
offering them at £109. Not surprisingly, they were out of stock when I
last checked!

Just my two-pennyworth! I hope this assists.

Regards,

Bob Giles
Corfu.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk