[Gllug] repeat soft noise from hard drive

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 9 22:54:08 UTC 2008

On Tue 09 Dec, Alain Williams wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 10:29:55PM +0000, Diana Scott wrote:
> >
> > For reasons I was having difficulties booting up , so I delete the partition and rei
> nstall the software but the installation was stuck in the middle not able to complete
> and I can hear a soft noise repeatedly from the hard drive. Although I have still acce
> ss to the data file using ubuntu, the hard drive is now unbootable.
>
> What sort of noise ?
>
> > How can I fix this hard drive problem ?
>
> Probably by replacing the hard drive.
>
> --
> Alain Williams

   Check that the drive power cable is making a good direct contact and is
not linked via any other connector such as a fan power tap. If the drive
power is OK then prepare to replace the drive ASAP. Wrapping the drive in a
plastic bag and cooling it in the fridge is reputed to help with a final
backup.
   Check that heatsinks are clean, including behind the fan chassis, and
lubricate fans to reduce overheating problems.

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk