[Gllug] Diagnosing a network error - was Powerline homeplug experiences

j.roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Sat Dec 13 19:35:45 UTC 2008

Adrian McMenamin wrote:

> Any ideas as to how I could test this further or what I might have
> missed?

The transmission speed and quality depends (roughly) on:

- mains line (RF) impedance
- limited interference

Things that could change these can cause problems. Examples:

- electric fire on the line can cause low RF impedance (depending on
type of fire)

- other heavy loads

- anything else plugged across the ring with RF bypass capacitors could
cause problems (eg some electric motor-containing appliance) but this is
unlikely

- interference needs to be high level to cause much problem because of
the transmission modes used (which are designed to handle mains noise
and interference)

Overall as you say faulty adapter sound most likely...

MeJ

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk