[Gllug] ssh brute force attacks

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Mon Dec 8 17:58:38 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 04:08:03PM +0000, Hari wrote:

> I use port knocking, it's pretty good, the only thing I don't like about
> it is that it requires a server behind a Nat to have too many ports
> accessible

Not necessarily.  One way to implement port knocking is to have an
invisible firewalling bridge between your endpoint and the outside
world.  This can inspect incoming connection attempts and alter firewall
rules accordingly if it sees the right pattern.  No need for any extra
open ports.

--
Bruce

The ice-caps are melting, tra-la-la-la.  All the world is drowning,
tra-la-la-la-la.  -- Tiny Tim.