[Gllug] Duo Core processor 4Gb Ram laptop

Anthony Newman aenewman78 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 23:20:00 UTC 2008

John Hearns wrote:
> Acktcherly, all is not rosy in the field of multicores.
> Shamefully quoting a Slashdot article:
>
> http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08%2F12%2F05%2F0051238&from=rss
> <http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08%2F12%2F05%2F0051238&from=rss>
>

> /"Engineers at Sandia National Laboratories, in New Mexico, have
> simulated future high-performance computers containing the 8-core,
> 16-core, and 32-core microprocessors that chip makers say are the future
> of the industry. The results are distressing. Because of limited memory
> bandwidth and memory-management schemes that are poorly suited to
> supercomputers, the performance of these machines would level off or
> even decline with more cores.'"
> /

I'm hoping I'm not the only one failing to be surprised at that
"revelation". We've been temporarily diverted from the business of
pursuing increasing clock speeds by using multiple cores, because of the
phenomenal financial investment the clock speed war would be likely to
require; let's hope that it gets back on track soon. Bring on 22nm :P

Ant
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk