[Gllug] Identifying what processes are waiting on IO

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 7 14:18:05 UTC 2008

2008/12/7 Stephen Nelson-Smith <sanelson at gmail.com>

> So far all I've done is use lsof and look at the major and minor device
> numbers and mount points - but this really doesn't tell me much.

Don't forget about 'fuser' also.

You should be looking at I/O elevator tuning I think - but as you say, you
should
be looking at finding what processes are responsible first.

Once you've identified the processes and disk devices which are causing the
problems,
then maybe a bit of lateral thought can help. As a for instance, one of the
applications I'm familiar with, Ganglia, uses a round-robin-tool database,
which is frequently updated with information from Beowulf cluster nodes - so
frequently that on a big cluster the didks are just continually busy. The
recognised fix is to write the data to a RAMdisk then flush to real disk
every so often.