[Gllug] External USB HD recommendations

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Wed Dec 3 12:36:09 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-03 at 09:10 +0000, John Hearns wrote:

> 2008/12/3 Bob Giles <thecorfiot at gmx.co.uk>
>         On a personal note, I am looking to buy the Freecom 1 Tb
>         external drive
>         that also supports an ethernet connection and is therefore can
>         be
>         accessible directly from any machine ... anywhere.
>
> That's interesting. Do you happen to know how they work - do they have
> an embedded processor which acts as a NAS server or something?

I have a "homebrew" NAS server here which consists of a 500 Gb Seagate
drive with a Scenix processor handling TCP/IP - works fine on my home
network, but is probably a little too experimental to make available
just yet.  Expect it to be an article in one of the electronics comics
next year (probably in Elektor).

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk