[Gllug] Man pages with different character sets?

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Dec 22 15:10:50 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 02:34:12PM +0000, Lesley Binks wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a somewehat annoying little problem.
>
> My apt-get man page displays perfectly over an ssh connection ( using
> putty from an XP box).
>
> The aptitude man page doesn't.
> The Name, Synopsis and Description sections display
> okay but, in the Command Line Actions section, I get stuff like
> \fBinstall\fR, <package>\fB+\fR etc which makes it very difficult to
> read.  Is there a fix for this?

That's not a different character set, it's the markup language used in
man pages.  See an example about half way down this page:

http://www.schweikhardt.net/man_page_howto.html

So the question really is why the aptitude manpage isn't being
processed by the usual tools when you view it.  Actually I have no
idea, but you can certainly run the page through:

  zcat /usr/share/man/man1/aptitude.1.gz | groff -man -Tascii | less

in order to view it properly.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones