[Gllug] recover deleted files

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 1 11:24:35 UTC 2008

2008/12/1 Jose Luis Martinez <jjllmmss at googlemail.com>

> Why don't you just get an appliance which has the ability to take
> snapshots?
>
> That will achieve the same goal and you have got a chance to rein on
> it (in an audited environment you would not be allowed to do what you
> describe :-/ ).
>
> I am not familiar enough with Linux offerings out of the box so to
> speak, so somebody may want to clarify about this.
>
> This would be a very good use for ZFS.
>From what I've seen of ZFS, you can take and keep snapshots to a virtually
unlimited extent - so having a set of snapshots for rollback for (say) a
month wouldn't be too much of a trial.

(Before anyone says it I know fine well you can snapshot lots of other
things - including LVM, and Panasas and SGI XVM etc. The point I'm making is
it is very easy and quick to make a ZFS snapshot)

Another way of approaching this problem, more relvant to the
scientific/engineering/medical imaging marketplace is to use a Hierarchical
Storage Management system. This is where you might have large scientific
datasets, or engineering models which are online, but you may not access
older data all that often. It is automatically pushed to tape and a small
'stub' file is left in its place. The file will be pulled back from tape (or
a lower tier of disk) when it is accessed.