[Gllug] How to handle spam bounces from secondary MX server

Robert McKay robert at mckay.com
Mon Dec 8 21:02:22 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 12:26:11PM -0000, John Winters wrote:
> [...]
>> Is there another step which I can take to get rid of these? They're only a
>> minor annoyance, but I'm aware they're taking up resources (for temporary
>> storage and retries) on the secondary server.
>
> This one's easy: get rid of the secondary MXer. Really.
>
> What benefit is the secondary giving you anyway?

One trick that may help a bit (not really a solution tho) is to set a
3rd MX with a really high priority ( 999 say ) that just points back
to your primary MX. If the spammers are just going to the highest
number MX then they'll hit your primary again and get rejected there
instead of going to the secondary. Of course it's also possible that
the spammers are just picking an MX at random or any random
non-primary MX but I believe this trick did used to work to some
extent.

Rob.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk