[Gllug] External USB HD recommendations

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Mon Dec 1 17:51:49 UTC 2008

2008/12/1 N. Pauli <npauli at st-johns.org.uk>:
> On Mon, 01 Dec, Peter Corlett wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 02:13:00PM +0000, N. Pauli wrote:
>> > Can anyone recommend an external USB2 HDD that I can use with Ubuntu 8.04
>> > (Hardy) kernel 2.6.24-21-generic?
>>
>> They should all work, barring hardware failure, which is presumably what
>> happened in your case.
>
> That's the odd thing. I slung it across to a colleague who uses it on his XP set up with no problem at all. What was odd about it was that you needed two USB ports as it used one of them for its power.

It probably uses both for power. One port often doesn't deliver enough current.

You might want to plug it into your linux machine and check what you
see in the system log (System -> Administration -> System Log, or use
the command dmesg in a terminal) to see what messages spew out. I have
had issues with some USB devices where they done enumerate correctly,
and the workaround was to unload the USB2 module and resort to USB1.1
(via the command "sudo rmmod ehci_hcd").

Cheers,
Al.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk