[Gllug] Aaaaarrrggghhh!!!! I need a working ISP

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Dec 23 08:24:20 UTC 2008

Chris Bell wrote:
> On Mon 22 Dec, Nix wrote:
>> On 22 Dec 2008, James Courtier-Dutton told this:
>>> The "Demon Business 8000" sounds like what you need. Gives you your
>>> own subnet etc.
>> Do they still have as many Great Routing Fsckups as they used to, or
>> is that curse restricted to dialup?
>>

>    There have been some reports of total admin and accounts chaos for a
> while,

Their accounts department went completely rogue for at least 18 months,
but my experience ended about 7 years ago so I don't know whether that's
still the case.  I could tell all sorts of unbelievable stories about
what they got up to.

> and a series of technical problems while the website and off-shore
> helldesk deny any hitches,

It used to be a standing joke that Demon support would always deny there
was a problem until they'd fixed it.  They seemed to think this made
some sort of sense - "Until we've found out exactly what's going on we
don't know for certain that there is a problem, so we will state
definitively that there is no problem until we find the cause."

There was a very funny posting in (IIRC) demon.service after Demon
produced two consecutive copies of their customer magazine with the same
issue number.  Someone commented on this and someone else followed up
with a beautiful pastiche of a response from Demon's spokesman (Malcolm
something?) saying that there was no problem at their end and we should
check other magazines we were receiving to see whether they too had
repeated issue numbers.

> but not sure where it is heading now as Demon
> have been sold to C&W. See the demon.service news.

I don't think I'd try Demon again - unless the choice was between them
and NTHell.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk