[Gllug] External USB HD recommendations

Bob Giles thecorfiot at gmx.co.uk
Wed Dec 3 12:40:30 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-03 at 09:10 +0000, John Hearns wrote:

> 2008/12/3 Bob Giles <thecorfiot at gmx.co.uk>
>         On a personal note, I am looking to buy the Freecom 1 Tb
>         external drive
>         that also supports an ethernet connection and is therefore can
>         be
>         accessible directly from any machine ... anywhere.
>
> That's interesting. Do you happen to know how they work - do they have
> an embedded processor which acts as a NAS server or something?

John,

I don't think that there is any claim that this is a NAS server. I have
only been going by the blurb! Although accompanying software is for Win
boxes, I have definitely read accounts on the various Ubuntu forums of
these and similar drives being accessible via TCP/IP. To save you
hunting, I have lifted the following description.

"Computer networks these days are not limited to big offices with a lot
of employees. More and more people at home or in small offices have a
computer network. With the recent programmes, applications and data
files becoming larger and larger, the need for additional storage space
is more present than ever before! Freecom offers you the perfect storage
upgrade for your network, the new Network Drive. Simply connect
theComputer networks these days are not limited to big offices with a
lot of employees. More and more people at home or in small offices have
a computer network. With the recent programmes, applications and data
files becoming larger and larger, the need for additional storage space
is more present than ever before! Freecom offers you the perfect storage
upgrade for your network, the new Network Drive. Simply connect the
Network Drive to your router or switch, run the easy to use
configuration wizard, and have instant access to the drive from any PC
within your network. It can even be configured to be accessed via the
internet, so your data is available for you from anywhere in the world,
without your PC needed to be switched on! The included configuration
assistant will guide you to set up the drive and security options the
way you want it. For increased flexibility, you can also use the Network
Drive as a standalone USB 2.0 hard drive, you can connect and access it
to any PC.

- Centralized network storage - add extra storage capacity to your
network in seconds!
- Can also be used as fast, portable USB 2.0 external hard drive
- Easy configuration in your network via built-in configuration
assistant
- Including LED capacity indicator
- Uses TCP/IP protocol, the communication standard for computer networks
- Data securely accessible from within and outside your network (via the
internet)
- High quality, award-winning sleek design in heat absorbing aluminium
enclosure
- Two years manufacturer’s warranty and unlimited free helpdesk support
[...]

I can't speak for others but I am tempted!

Bob G.
Corfu

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk