[Gllug] External USB HD recommendations

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon Dec 1 14:24:50 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 02:13:00PM +0000, N. Pauli wrote:
> Can anyone recommend an external USB2 HDD that I can use with Ubuntu 8.04
> (Hardy) kernel 2.6.24-21-generic?

They should all work, barring hardware failure, which is presumably what
happened in your case.

I build my own by buying separate drive and enclosure. That way I can avoid
being lumbered with a rubbish drive mechanism, such as all Maxtors and those
infamous 1.5TB Seagates with the dodgy firmware. Enclosures are much of a
muchness: they're all cheap crap and likely to go bad well before the drive
fails, so buy a spare and be prepared to swap your disk into it.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk