[Gllug] X server question

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Feb 21 11:53:54 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:38:32AM -0000, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> There are not many books about on X and I'm finding it difficult to get an
> answer to this via googling, so maybe someone here could at least point me
> in the right direction.
>
> I would quite like to write an accelerated 3D X server for the Dreamcast.
>
> Having an accelerated driver inside the kernel seems like a no-no because
> the card, for which I now have a fair degree of documentation, relies so
> heavily on FP maths.
>
> So, where do I start?

I would definitely start with the xorg server.  Is there an issue that
this server will be too large for the Dreamcast, which has just 16 MB
of RAM?

Then take a look at existing 3D drivers to see how they work.  You
could for example grab the source to the new nVidia driver, Nouveau
(http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/).  Of course it won't be
directly relevant, but it'll tell you about what needs to be written.

Coincidentally there was an article in LWN today about writing xorg
drivers.  Part 1 is online here:

  http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/269558/f4858c1ae100dd5e/

Rich.

--