[Gllug] new mobile phone

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Mon Feb 4 12:58:21 UTC 2008

Hi

Christopher Hunter wrote:
> No - the battery life's appalling whatever you're doing with it.

I've not charged mine since Friday and the battery is still half full.
I can easily drain it in a few hours if I sit outside and read a bunch
of google news via wifi, and I'm certainly charging the thing more than
my previous phone, but the phone is significantly more capable.
Over the weekend it's been sitting idle, or playing mp3s (either through
the headphones or via the external speakers while I got ready for work
this morning). I don't think there are any fair tests here and everyone
wants more battery life.

> I found that the GPS receiver is really "deaf" and wouldn't work in most
> parts of London.

I've used it successfully a few times to navigate my way home to south
London in the wee hours, and whenever I'm bored and fiddling with it
while waiting somewhere in Central London it has acquired a lock (this
being with the V 20 upgrade. I agree that before that it was pretty piss
poor because it would require you to stand still for 5 minutes to get a
lock).

> cheap (£25) bluetooth GPS receiver that talks to my PDA in the car.  It
> works everywhere in London, just left on the dashboard of the car!

You mean that a dedicated GPS device works well when given a clear view
of the sky? Colour me not-particularly surprised ;)
I don't have a car, so I don't care about using the thing for navigation
other than on foot where speed is not of the essence, but I have been in
a cab where the driver was using one for directions (perhaps with an
external GPS unit though).

> No.  The FM receiver is largely useless - it has poor sensitivity and
> selectivity is a joke - tuning to Radio 4 in North London allowed you to
> hear BBC Radio London as you moved about.

I listen to the Radio 4's Today programme on the bus to work every day
and it's fine right up to when I get into the lift at work and the doors
close. It's worth noting perhaps that Radio 4 appears twice in the
listings for London, one of which is much nearer to some other radio
station than the other.

> No.  It's too quiet in many environments, and is very poor quality.

I disagree - it's louder than my SE was, and the speakerphone is better.

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones
  cmsj at tenshu.net