[Gllug] How does grub number discs in mixed systems?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Feb 13 12:06:26 UTC 2008

I'm struggling to predict what labels grub will use for a system which
I'm looking at modifying.

Currently the box has one PATA drive (hda) and one SATA drive (sda).
Grub seems to reference these respectively as hd0 and hd1.

I want to replace the PATA drive with another SATA drive, removing the
PATA drive.

Can I then reliably say that the original SATA drive (still sda) will
become hd0 and the new SATA drive (on the second SATA controller) will
become hd1?

I would welcome a reference to some definitive documentation on how grub
decides the order in which to number the drives.  I've read several
on-line tutorials but they all make the same mistake as the grub
documentation - they assume you already know these basic details.

TIA,
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk