[Gllug] Still struggling to set up IPv6 on a debian etch box

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Feb 24 14:35:09 UTC 2008

I seem to have overcome my ADSL router problem (well, I *think* I have
but I won't know until I've managed to do the configuration on the
target box) but I'm struggling to find a complete, self-consistent and
not-horribly-out-of-date set of instructions on how to set up IPv6 over
an IPv4 tunnel.

The best I've managed to find so far is the Debian Wiki and linked pages
which say that to bring up a link without using global scope addresses
on the link you need to issue the following commands (adjusted for my g/w):

ip tunnel add mytunl mode sit remote 81.187.81.6
ip link set mytunl up
ip route add 2000::0/3 via ::81.187.81.6

but the last command fails with the error message:

RTNETLINK answers: No route to host

Can anyone see what's wrong with the instructions, or alternatively can
anyone point me to a decent set of instructions on setting up IPv6
tunnels?  (And *don't* suggest the Linux IPv6 HOWTO - I've spent hours
studying it and it's a very bad joke.)

TIA,
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk