[Gllug] Getting usbnet to work

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Tue Feb 5 23:06:55 UTC 2008

I can modprobe usbnet and it is there but I cannot find anyway to get a
net device as usb0 (or anything else). Everything I have found on google
concentrates on getting to the point where you can probe the module --
and then says it should Just Work. Any clues as to where I can find out
what comes next?

#ifup usb0
usb0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
usb0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
usb0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
Failed to bring up usb0.

#lsmod | grep usbnet
usbnet                 19976  0
mii                     6528  2 usbnet,via_rhine
usbcore               138632  5 usbnet,usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd

#cat /etc/network/interfaces

iface usb0 inet static
        address 192.168.63.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0