[Gllug] Still struggling to set up IPv6 on a debian etch box

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Feb 24 15:05:34 UTC 2008

Anthony Newman wrote:
> John Winters wrote:
>
>> ip tunnel add mytunl mode sit remote 81.187.81.6
>> ip link set mytunl up
>> ip route add 2000::0/3 via ::81.187.81.6
>>
>> but the last command fails with the error message:
>>
>> RTNETLINK answers: No route to host
>
> FWIW, a v6-in-v4 tunnel I run over an OpenVPN link to give me a /64 on
> my laptop wherever I have a v4 internet connection is set up on the
> client side as follows:
>
> ip tunnel add sit1 mode sit remote 172.24.128.1 local 172.24.128.2 ttl 64
> ip link set up sit1
> ip addr add 2001:6F8:96C:1::2/64 dev sit1

There's the problem (from my PoV) - my ISP (Andrews and Arnold) seem to
be expecting me to use a tunnel without global scope ipv6 addresses on
it.  That is, they provide the IPv4 address of their end of the tunnel
but that's it.

Most configuration instructions assume the provider will give you an
IPv4 address (for the remote end) and then a pair of IPv6 addresses for
the actual link.  The bit I quoted above is from a page of instructions
claiming to tell you how to configure a link without such a pair, but
they don't seem to work.

I think I'll have to contact A&A on Monday and ask them how they expect
it to work.

Thanks for your help
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk