[Gllug] scanner wanted

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Fri Feb 1 11:37:43 UTC 2008

Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> writes:

> I am after a scanner for a linux box, I am looking at SANE supported devices
> 	http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html
> and trying to match them with retailer web pages but I get nothing. I suspect that
> it is because the UK retailers use UK specific model numbers.
>
> Can anyone recommend a scanner:
>
> USB
> #100-#200
> colour & b&w capable
> 'Reasonable quality' -- I suspect that my customer wants picture quality

I use[1] the Canon LiDE 25. It's small, black, and powered solely by
USB. Whether this is a breach of USB specs is an exercise for the
reader. I have had trouble with this scanner only in older machines
where, I think, USB 1 was the only bus available.

I have no idea how well it functions on a Windows box. It's never seen
one.

I can get you a few demo scans if you like.

Matthew

[1] Well actually I bought it because it was cheap and others in the
house wanted one. I rarely if ever use it myself[2].

[2] Except, of course, that being the geek I'm the only one that knows how...

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child", for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk