[Gllug] courier slow

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 20 20:02:57 UTC 2008

countd wrote:
> Hello all
> I have an issue with courier-imap (4.1.1) on our local network. It is
> working but it's incredibly slow, even smallish text messages can take
> 5-6 seconds to show up in the mail client (Thunderbird) after clicking
> - much slower than I'd expect, and messages with small (less than 1MB)
> attachments take ages to download.
>
> Thing is, the server isn't exactly breaking sweat (load avg 0.02 at
> one stage during testing, but the mail still slow), and the network
> traffic is fairly low (30-300 KB/s on average), so my question really
> is, what else could be causing this retardation?
>
> Many thanks for any suggestions - am at a bit of a dead end.
> countd

Have you checked that you havn't got a duplex setting conflict between
your server and the switch it's plugged into? It's quite common for
Cisco switches to be set to 100Mb/s full duplex no autonegotiation, if
you then set your end to auto it drops to half and network throughput is
dreadful. Check it with mii-tool or ethtool.

Regards, Ian
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk