[Gllug] Nagios vs Zabbix vs Zenoss

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Thu Feb 28 09:15:33 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:13:09PM +0000, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Diego Giurgola wrote:
> > Hi all. I've to decide which of this monitoring tools is good enought
> > for me. I'd like to spend my time on the most used one (which I think
> > is Nagios), but I'd like to know which of these is better for you.
>
> I use, and like, nagios.
>
> I did try Zabbix for a bit, and it mostly DEWISOTT, but it's interface
> is utterly unintuitive.  I've never even heard of Zenoss.

I've used Nagios quite a lot, and hate it.

Zabbix I've tinkered with, and think it has potential, but don't know
it well enough to develop hatred for it yet ;-)

Nagios reminds me of sendmail -- it has utterly shite config files,
which everyone codes around by having a config file builder script,
and then becomes attached to to the point that they'll doggedly defend
doing that as a sane thing to do.

I'm waiting for the postfix of monitoring systems.  Zabbix _might_ be it,
but I'm yet to find out how you configure it without going through the
web interface, which I'd need to do in order to trust it.

Zenoss I've never tried, but looking at the site reminds me why.
It's based on Zope, which I touched with a barge pole several years ago,
and have been trying to clean my brain ever since. ;-)

Cheers, Phil.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk