[Gllug] Getting usbnet to work

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Wed Feb 6 00:58:57 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 11:06:55PM +0000, Adrian wrote:
> I can modprobe usbnet and it is there but I cannot find anyway to get a
> net device as usb0 (or anything else). Everything I have found on google
> concentrates on getting to the point where you can probe the module --
> and then says it should Just Work. Any clues as to where I can find out
> what comes next?
>
> #ifup usb0
> usb0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> usb0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
> usb0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> Failed to bring up usb0.

What do your logs say immediately after loading the module?  What does
dmesg say?  If you have the iproute tools installed, what does "ip link
show" tell you?  If not, what does "ifconfig -a" say?  (Either of those
last two commands should give you a list of all available interfaces,
whether configured or not.)

What kind of device do you have attached to your PC?  Is it a PDA or a
USB network adapter?  You do know that you have to have something like
that connected before the usbnet module will create an interface, I take
it.

--
Bruce

A problem shared brings the consolation that someone else is now
feeling as miserable as you.